1895 - 1927 The beginnings of X-ray technology
On November 8th, 1895, Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen discovers the rays he called “X-rays”. Later on the rays are renamed in German to “Röntgenstrahlen” in honor of him, though in English the original designation lasts to this day.
Based on Röntgen’s discovery, Carl Heinrich Florenz Müller, a native Thuringian glass-blower and factory owner, develops the first X-ray tube in Hamburg in 1896.
On April 17th, 1927, Philips takes over the company C.H.F. Müller, also known as “Röntgenmüller”, and clusters the development and production of X-ray tubes in Hamburg.